Yona McGinnis is an art therapist, artist, yoga teacher, mother and grandmother in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. She is a Registered Art Therapist and has practiced in the Edmonton area, using a trauma informed approach, for over a decade.
Yona received her art therapy training through the Master of Psychotherapy and Spirituality- Art Therapy Specialization at St. Stephen’s College in Edmonton. She has amassed experience working with grief and trauma, most recently providing art therapy at Little Warriors Be Brave Ranch, working with children, youth and their families who have been affected by childhood sexual abuse. Yona continues to provide trauma informed art therapy supervision for the Be Brave Ranch, and also to practice privately and teach practical applications of trauma informed art therapy principals
To build a network of Trauma Informed Art Therapists and Trauma Informed Art Therapy Facilitators, to support community agencies that provide services to groups and individuals who have experienced trauma.
Soft Warrior Counselling/ Artful Emergence will provide:
- Ethical and compassionate services to individuals who have experienced trauma.
- Training to art therapists and other professionals in the use of trauma informed art therapy principals.
- Training to front line service providers in facilitating arts therapies.
- Consultation regarding best practice for multi- cultural and diversity sensitive applications of trauma informed art therapy.
- Design and supervision of art therapy programs within community organizations.
- Trauma informed approach to supervision of art therapy students and community facilitators.
- Trauma informed art therapy workshops.
- Training in linking yoga, meditation and mindfulness with trauma informed art therapy.